What happens if I am pulled over without a license or with a suspended or revoked license?
When you get behind the wheel in Charlotte, you probably don’t think about driving as a privilege … but North Carolina does. One of the ways to violate that privilege is to drive without a driver’s license or while your privilege to drive is suspended or revoked.
Once you receive a driver’s license in North Carolina, you are expected – and in a sense under contract – to have that license with you any and every time you get behind the wheel. If you don’t have it and you are stopped for any infraction, such as speeding or running a red light, you may be facing two charges.
What are the possible reasons for and the possible penalties for driving without a license in North Carolina?
* Your valid driver’s license is in your wallet but you left your wallet at home.
– This charge may be dismissed once you show the license, but you may have to pay a fine if you are convicted because you did not renew it in time.
* You let your license expire or you never got one.
– This infraction means a fine up to $100 plus court costs of $188.
* Your license or privilege to drive has been suspended or revoked in North Carolina.
– This is a Class 3 misdemeanor, which may cost you $500 – $3,500.
Whatever your circumstances in North Carolina, don’t get behind the wheel without a valid driver’s license. If you do and you are charged, your best resource is the skills of an attorney because this charge may be difficult to fight. If you are charged with “no license” or driving while your license is suspended or revoked, in the Charlotte area, your best resource is to contact Chuck Morgan at The Law Offices of Charles L. Morgan Jr., a Charlotte Criminal Defense Attorney who is well experienced in the laws that cover all areas of driving infractions. Once you are charged with driving without a license or driving with a suspended, revoked or otherwise invalid license, it is up to you to prove otherwise or fight the evidence. Let Charles L. Morgan Jr. do the fighting for you.